Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sanctuary

I became a photographer because I found it to be one of the things I was good at and enjoyed at the same time. I became a photojournalist because I liked the excitement of it, something new and different everyday. Some days I try to find ways to make a difference in the world. Then there are days like today that, to some individuals, I made a difference in their world.
Today I photographed a closure ceremony at a church who had their last worship in their old sanctuary. The congregation had memories of the times they've spent in the current sanctuary but were filled with excitement for the new sanctuary to open it's doors next Sunday for the first time. Their excitement overflowed towards me. Every person I talked to from the moment I arrived till the moment I left was thrilled that I was there to help document and tell their story. When I went to ask the pastor if I could photograph through the worship there was no hesitation to a yes. Many people came up to me to ask when the pictures will be in the paper or just to say thank you for being there. Usually I would be bashful to photograph during a time of worship but it was such a positive atmosphere that it made the situation comfortable and enjoyable.





Days like today help remind me that it doesn't have to be world breaking news to be important and to help make a difference in the lives of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment