Friday, November 18, 2011

Candle Light Vigil

After the eruption in State College with the firing of Joe Paterno and Graham Spanier the students acted out in a way that was not ideal. A peaceful rally at Old Main led to a riot in downtown, with downed light posts, a flipped news van, and cops placing a dispersal order. It was frustrating to be an alum and see this unfold, and even worse when people told television anchors they weren't sure why they were rioting.

Luckily some students quickly stepped up and organized a candle light vigil in support of victims of child abuse. The facebook event had thousands of people saying there were going to attend and as I walked up to Old Main in the brisk air I was amazed to see the amount of people.

I started towards the front of the crowd with several individuals intently listening to the Blue Band play and several people speak.


I worked my way around the crowd and ended up pretty far back on the lawn. I honestly think it is the most people I have ever seen on the Old Main lawn, and everyone was so respectful and calm.


I managed to get back up to the stairs of Old Main and spotted the interim presidents singing along with the alma matter.

When I walked up the steps and looked over the crowd it was very overwhelming. Candles were glowing in every direction. I was proud now to be an alum, and quietly snuck around the students snapping away.







"May no act of ours bring shame
To one heart that loves thy name,
May our lives but swell thy fame,
Dear old State, dear old State. "

No comments:

Post a Comment